wide beds

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

jonesy

Hi Charles
    was just looking at your pictures of your beds at homeacres .They look quite wide.do you walk on them alot when planting.was thinking of having 3 foot wide beds x 3 going across my allotment,but if you can get away with walking on them i might go for 5 foot wide beds x 2 with a single path between them running the whole length of the allotment.

thanks
    glen

charles

Yes I have some five foot beds to reduce paths, and also some three foot ones, and four foot! The wider beds are a bit cumbersome when picking lettuce for example, but it is fine to walk on them, not too much and not when sodden. But for peas, Brusse;s etc I like narrower beds, they feel more manageable. 

Beth
    Participant

Charles, do you keep the width of your beds the same or do you change bed width depending on what you’re planting? 

If you change it, then are you putting manure and compost on the paths as well regularly?

charles

Yes my first comment was a little vague: I do keep the same beds and pathways all the time. So climbing beans for example go along a 3 foot bed, or across a four or five foot bed, which then means some walking on the bed to pick them.

All bed widths are possible, its more a question of what you feel most comfortable with. And I think its easier to keep the same beds, same paths.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags