Wild rocket science

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Wild rocket science

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  grannyjanny 12 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi all. Been using West Riding module compost for a number of years now for starting off seedlings. Apart from one blip about four years ago this has always been a very reliable good quality growing medium. However- I cannot get wild rocket started off in this compost. Googled wild rocket bad germination. Seems wild rocket is much more sensitive to ph and salinity than salad rocket and orientals. Did a side by side experiment with John Innes #1 and the J.I was perfect 100% germination, West riding was virtually nothing. Is it the compost or just the dodgy Derbyshire water?!
    Everything else is looking healthy and well!

charles

Good question here Robin, I have been wondering the same, with some beetroot showing patchy germination and now the same with spinach in 2012 West Riding compost, after the same seeds germinated well in their 2011 compost. I wonder why wild rocket is being reluctant as I find that brassicas usually grow well in almost any compost. Perhaps because its seeds are so tiny (eg compared to salad rocket) and therefore can be overcome by richness.

I have a feeling that nutrient levels are a little too high and seeds prefer weaker compost to germinate, indeed such as John Innes no.1. I actually have some of West Riding’s "seed compost" which I suspect is a weaker mix and it has worked for lettuce so far. 

It is frustrating to have these difficulties but growth of seedlings is strong once they are growing in the WR module compost. In all my years (sadly old enough to say that!) I have not had so many "compost issues" as recently.

Thanks Charles, Thought something wasn’t quite right last year which is why i had the bag of J.Innes to hand. Started lettuce this year off in this and pricked out into W.R. That said i sowed beetroot, spinach and peas straight into W.R with good results- about to plant in next few days. Will do some more tests before i get on the phone to complain… I drove all the way to Halifax to collect the compost this year in good faith it would be ok!!

grannyjanny
    Participant

I find it very interesting that even you Charles has experienced compost problems. I won’t name the ones I have had trouble with over the last few years but I will say that I go to great lengths to buy Clover compost. After loosing so many seeds last year & we are talking beans & squash here that we did a 25 mile round trip to buy some Clover MP. It probably wouldn’t suit everyone as it has peat in but it is like putting your hand into a bag of flour doesn’t need sieving & a couple of years ago it was frozen in the Winter & I still had 100% germination the following Spring. In other compost I’ve had chunks of wood, large pieces of plastic, twigs, chunks of glass & unrecognisable material. I do have health problems so am unable to stand sieving so that I can sow my seeds.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags