Winter Gardening and Fallow Grounds

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Winter Gardening and Fallow Grounds

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Thierry 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Thierry
    Participant

Hello,
    I am sort-of new-ish in home gardening, having embraced for now 3 years after being more of a city man.

I was reading Charles Dowding’s book on “Winter Gardening”, including his advice on not worrying too much on crop rotation.

One question, I have is what happens if a piece of land has a summer crop and winter crops. Will it lose nutrients short term, or do you have to keep adding manure at the end of the 2 seasons crops? Or would it be good to keep the land fallow (ie – no crops on winter) eveyr other year?

Thank you for any ideas or experience.

Thierry – Cambridge

bluebell
    Participant

Hi Thierry
    Personally I get at least 2 crops per year off of each bed, topping up once a year with compost, either around standing plants (normally potatoes or brassica) or prior to planting out plants grown in plugs. I do try to rotate crops on as long a rotation as possible (but don’t always get the planning right!). I never plan to leave fallow, although there are short periods when beds may be empty – at the moment I have lifted all parsnips and carrots, so those beds are now ready to take new plantings as the weather warms up.

Hope that helps?
    Bluebell

charles

Thierry you can crop continuously. As Bluebell suggests, one application of compost (1-2in) per year is enough for most soils to grow all year round. Although in fact there is little growth in winter (in N Europe at least) and soil takes a rest, even if leeks etc are standing there.
    Its not only about nutrients, having roots in soil keeps microbes active and I think more healthy.

Thierry
    Participant

Thank you very much Charles and Bluebell.

Will give it a try for coming winter !

Have a great (gardening) weekend

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags