Winter gem & amsterdam forcing

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Winter gem & amsterdam forcing

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  bluebell 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

bluebell
    Participant

I sowed my winter gem rather late last year and they were not big enough to plant out before winter, they have been in a grow house and have now started showing signs of growth. I assume if I plant out in the next few weeks they will just carry on and still produce a fairly early salad crop?

I also have some Amsterdam forcing carrots that say they can be sown with protection from January since we are fairly mild at the moment would it be foolish to sow under fleece now?

Pete Budd
    Participant

Hi Bluebell

In East Yorkshire my attempts to get early carrots going are often defeated by the weather. Cold, wet conditions are not conducive to good germination and last year I had to resow due to the cold spring. I`ve never tried Amsterdam forcing but imagine it needs a bit of heat under glass.

Pete

charles

Small seeds like carrot often fail when sown before March. Although mild, it is wet. Whereas lettuce plants can cope better and although they won’t be superbly happy, they could go out under fleece now, with bare soil around them.

bluebell
    Participant

Thank you both.

I will hold off with the carrots then – thought January sounded optimistic, at best I think they would act as a slug magnet. Although strangely at the moment I am finding mainly snails rather than slugs. Obviously like different conditions.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags