winter lettuce

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables winter lettuce

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ladbrokes 12 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi Charles, Just wondered how the trial with Valmaine Lettuce went this winter? Thought I’d try Winter Density this year. Grenoble Red has done fantastic this last winter-still going strong!
    Robin

Pete Budd
    Participant

I`ve grown W.Density regularly and its ok for a while but usually succombs to cold, wet conditions here, even with fleece. To be fair I`ve never tried it in a poly tunnel.

Pete

charles

Thanks for reminding me to mention this Robin – the Valmaine have mostly perished, by mid February, with five out of thirty five surviving. I also tried some Little Gem and about a third survived, compared to three quarters of my Grenoble Red which are both beautiful and abundant. A little harder to pick for the first month and inclined to double head, but a great winter leaf-lettuce (and seed is sold as a hearting lettuce). Also I have tried Winter Density in the tunnel Pete, and survival rates were over a half, nice flavour too, but leaf quality was poor as slugs just love their stems.

In between the surviving Valmaine I planted peas in February (sown modules January of home saved Tall Sugar Pea) and they are now producing lovely shoots, so I don’t mind losing a few lettuce plants! also some Boltardy beetroot sown early Feb. in modules, then planted in odd gaps, are now producing leaves with gorgeous red stalks for salad. As are some plants of Red Cardinal spinach.

ladbrokes

i grew artic king outside under corrigated plastic and they grew very well and were huge.
    in the greenhouse i grew winter gem that i picked leaves off when required and i was very happy with the results.
    i will be growing grenbloise this yr for winter

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags