Winter preparations for bare ground

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Winter preparations for bare ground

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

David Clarke
    Participant

I am not going to have enough winter plants to fill my veg patch this winter.

Is it best to cover the gound with manure and leave it exposed to the elements or to cover with manure and then overlay with a membrane to deter weed growth/seeds setting?  I guess the risk is a trade off between providing homes to molluscs and keeping the weeds down.  Would appreciate the benefit of any experiements/experience.

Thanks

Dave

charles

Hello David, I hope that when you say manure you mean composted manure, dark and reasonably crumbly, often 12-18 months old. Otherwise, if bedding is less rotted that encourages slugs, whether covered or not.

You need membrane only if beds are currently weedy and you want to kill some by light exclusion. Otherwise few should germinate over winter. Its up to you, I leave uncovered here. Also from now until end Sept you can sow mustard Synapsis alba as green manure which is killed by frost, so no need to mulch or.. dig in!

David Clarke
    Participant

Charles

thanks thats helpful.  Hope to see you on the 31st!

Beth
    Participant

I have some beds I made this spring that unfortunately have new grass springing up all over them. I think it’s grass ???  Newbie so not really sure what the blades are.  I have been hoeing it from the paths but it is too deep to hoe beds.  I think I will cardboard or newspaper over entire bed and start over.  Would like to do it now but am in Idaho in zone 7B and it is still getting hot.  Can I plant the white radish now you mention as a good winter manure into these beds after putting down the cardboard or newspaper? 

Or would you suggest I lay down the paper or cardboard and just cover with manure and compost and leave it until spring?  Then I will be concerned about weeds sprouting in it and also rains washing away compost and manure into the paths between.  Not sure what to do about beds with blades popping up all over this time of year when it is supposed to be 90 degrees next week…

Thanks

charles

I would cover with cardboard and just a little compost on top. You have been naughty to let that grass grow: once beds are clean, keep growing veg in them, and be vigilant to hoe or disturb weeds before they reach any size. Perhaps also you need a good hoe.

Beth
    Participant

Thanks Charles for such a quick response.  I am worried about hoeing too deep and vigorously in beds as I don’t want to disturb soil.  How deep can I hoe bed without really causing damage?  I am feeling inclined to extend arm like I am mopping  a floor all along the bed.  Also, not sure if I should leave the hoed grass on bed or if it needs to be removed..

charles

No worries here, no dig alows you to hoe! It should be shallow, that is the virtue of hoeing when weeds are small. Hoe as shallow as you can so that weed roots are either cut, or disturbed, then you need a day of dry wind or sun to dry out their roots before they can re-establish. Leaving weeds in place is much quicker but grass is tricky because of its many fine roots which do re-grow unless you have a few days fine weather. Give it a try. Google ‘oscillating hoe’ to buy one of those as their sharp blade cuts though shallowly without going too deep.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags