Winter Squash

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Winter Squash

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

fzjohnson
    Participant

Has anyone discovered (as I did by accident) that their Winter Squash varieties taste better when immature? I accidentally stood on the stalk of one of my just about full-sized Hubbard (Burgess) & decided I’d better eat it as a softer version of its pumpkin self,… only to realize that I prefer the immature flavour & texture to the mature ones! How I wish I’d harvested them all earlier.
    Are other varieties better when full size but not hardened or dense inside (ie. Seeds not fully ripe inside)? Has anyone tried kuri in its youth?

Kiwioldgirl
    Participant

Hi There
    We roasted a Kuri squash at the end of August. It was quite green looking inside the skin and hadn’t developed the sweet nutty flavour they have. It also took a long time to roast. We didn’t like it at all

fzjohnson
    Participant

Kiwioldgirl, perhaps it is only the thicker fleshed squash that tastes better?

I am going to take up the Real Seeds Company challenge and attempt to breed my own cultivar.

Has anyone else done this before (in this forum)? I imagine the lack of weeds would increase the yield weight through nutrient availability, which can only help. My two varieties this year had very dense fruit and what seemed to me to be extremely plump seeds. I realise it was a very good season this year for pumpkins.

charles

Best of luck fz.
    And yes Kiwioldgirl, you simply harvested it immature. The skins need to be hard, usually strong coloured and with drying stalks, leaves dying too. Mostly October.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags