Winter Squash- Good sweet variety

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Winter Squash- Good sweet variety

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Stringfellow 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

susan
    Participant

Hi Charles,
    I am gradually going through the 9 different variety of winter squash fruits that I harvested this year and so far I can say that the best, tastiest and sweetest I have seen so far is the Futsu Black which I bought the seeds from the Stormy Hall Catalogue.
    It is so sweet that a sweet syrup-like juice comes out of its skin blemishes. If I want to rate the quality and sweetness of this year’s winter squash harvest from 1 to 10 (1 lowest and 10 highest) I will rate them so far like this:

Futsu Black: 10
    Anna Swartz Hubbard squash: 6
    Sweet Dumpling: 6
    Hungarian Blue: 6
    Uchiki Kuri: 5
    Thelma Saunders Acorn squash: 5
    Butternut squash: 4

The Futsu Black is so sweet that you can feel its sweetness raw.

I have yet to try some other squashes and will share the results later when I ate them!
    Photos of Futsu Black are in the next comment below.

charles

You can see a syrupy liquid ooozing out of the skin in the left-hand picture.

bluebell
    Participant

That is really helpful as I have been struggling with the vast variety and a poor output from different varieties of butternut, even in the last fair summer.

susan
    Participant

Thanks Charles,
    I can now update the rating of winter squash that I started here. We had our first Blue Hubard winter squash. I used it in making the pasta sauce and then the rest of it is cooking in pot for lunch.
    Blue Hubard has a very tough skin and a deep orange flesh so sweet that I can comfortably rate as:

Blue Hubard: 7

Adding winter squash to pasta sauce created some pleasant surprises. I always felt the sauce is too much acidic and salty with all that tomato and cheese topping. However the diced squash made it nicely sweeter or as I wish to put it pasta sauce is made more ‘humane’ by adding some sweet winter squash!

Unfortunately if you have not planted this exotic winter squash last year you have to wait until September to experience this, but you can have taste it of it by going to one of the Asian ethnic shops. Usually at this season the ethnic shops ( which we are blessed to have them in many large towns in Britain) sell some varieties of squash which you never find elsewhere in supermarkets. You can find whole or sliced Crown Prince squashes and some other smaller winter squashes!

I may not plant Butternut squash this year as it does come close in taste and smell to any of these varieties that I have grown last year. I even felt last year’s Butternut smelled and tasted somehow a bit metallic, somehow like the smell of a workshop.

Wish you and family a healthy, bountiful and prosperous growing year.

PS: Charles, If you will add the pictures to the forum I can send you some photos of this winter squash.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thanks for this info, it does help in making future varietal decisions.

I will be trying UK and Blue Ballet (seeds were already purchased) this coming year. Still enjoying Sunshine F1 from last years harvests – fantastic in soup or roasted.

All the best in your growing and HNY!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags