Winter Squash

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Winter Squash

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

JD
    Participant

I am growing 2 winter squash plants, one Red Kuri and one Crown Prince. Both of these are currently making a bid for world domination, being about 16ft long and still growing. They are also producing side shoots. My question is do I just leave them to themselves or do I have to pinch anything out? They have both recently started to produce male flowers but only the crown prince has produced a (one) female flower so far. They are in shade for half of the day and on a sandy soil. Also getting mole hills all around and 6 inches from the crowns, but not (fingers crossed) directly under them yet.

charles

All sounds good to me. Sideshoots send down roots so you get more squash, no need to pinch out unless they are overtaking other plants

JD
    Participant

If they produce fertilised squash, is there a maximum number I should leave on per plant?

charles

No limit as long as the plant is finding new soil to feed off, so it’s a question of space and food/moisture rather then number per plant

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags