Winter veg in polytunnel after tomatoes

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Winter veg in polytunnel after tomatoes

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 12 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

rightee

Hi,

Our polytunnel is 3/4 full of tomatoes but I’d like to make use of the warmer conditions of the polytunnel into the winter.

What are the best crops to follow on once the tomatoes have been pulled up that can be grown in modules. I’m good on the oriental salad leaves etc but thinking winter radishes etc?

Could crops be interplanted between the tomatoes as they are ripening and then finally the plants are moved or would the disturbance of pulling the toms up damage the new plants?

Any ideas welcomed!

Thanks,
    Andy

charles

It is still early to be sowing for post-tomatoes. Yes you can interplant if the tomatoes are de-leafed at the bottom, to allow light for new plantings. Winter radish do well outside, I usually sow direct in August. In the tunnel you could sow carrot direct in early October to overwinter as seedlings. I feel that most value is had from salads as they just go on cropping for so long and are higher quality leaves in winter than outdoors.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags