Wire worms infestation!

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Wire worms infestation!

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Karen
    Participant

Hey Charles and all,

Anyone has loads of these in their soil/compost? I see them all the time. They look similar to mealworms (live bird food for bird keepers!) Or are they also called mealworms too?

I think they have been damaging my Asian vegs (e.g. pak choi and kalian) too together with the ants. Was harvesting all my kalian this afternoon ready to plant my toms and cucs tomorrow.

Found 4 of them and ants in the rootball of just 1 kalian plant! I have been pulling these worms apart.

Any idea how to decrease it’s population and how on earth do they come about?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

charles

Hmm looks like wireworms, a difficult pest see for example this
    I hope its just a small area that you have them, was it grass recently?.

Karen
    Participant

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the link. I see them quite often everywhere unfortunately. The picture taken was from the polytunnel. When we first set up the polytunnel, we used those black cloth mulch under the beds.

Our beds outside were all made over grass. I guess nothing much I can do except to just kill them when I see them. But would kinda be a wee bit too late as the plant would be wilting and when I pull the plant out, the culprits would be there in the rootball. 🙁

Karen
    Participant

I am at war with wire worms, leather jackets and cutworms and slugs and cabbage white butterflies! Think I have easily replaced over 30-40 lettuce plugs over the last 2 weeks….it´s infuriating!

Each time when I see the lettuce plant looking and growing strong, the very next day, it looks wilted and when I gently pull the plant out and it is broken off from the stem or root! And when I look carefully in the soil, it will be one of the above culprit!!! Especially wireworms!

I am at my wits end! 🙁

Have been having a bit of a slug problem too, caught about 20 yesterday. Blimey!

Anyone has any problem with killing cabbage white butterflies? 🙁

charles

Sounds bad.
    Pests from the old grass I guess of new garden?
    Slugs, its just a question of finding and catching/cutting.
    Wireworm is more tricky though finding and cutting them will be a big help for next year.
    Bonne courage Karen.

ElizaD
    Participant

Here in Taunton, Somerset best year ever for no slug problems. Never had so few slugs! No problem with lettuce root fly either. All my beds built over grass but no wire worm problems. On the down side weird white moth things on my cabbages (just let another batch out tonight) and a little blight on my toms but it hasn’t progressed as quickly as usual. Two friends have lost entire crops in poly tunnels!

Karen
    Participant

Found another casualty this morning 🙁

Thanks Charles, will keep replacing plants as thankfully my weakness of always having excessive plants helps fill up the gaps!

Our 4 year old garden was formally pasture which our neighbour used for his horses to graze on.

I have been killing the worms and the slugs are all kept in a bucket filled with water and a lid. Klaus and I are kinda apprehensive about killing the slugs…. He was telling me, there is so much fresh grass, why do these slugs have to eat the lettuce???? We will possibly just drown the slugs in the water.

I have ordered Helix Tosta (for slugs) and dipel es (BT) (for caterpillars and other worms pest possibly?). I am just a little apprehensive about using these items, as I have always killed these pests by hand.

Have also ordered a book on “Homeopathy for Plants” by Christiane Maute as I came across the book while looking for Helix Tosta. Just want to feel a little bit more comfortable about using these items.

Attachments:

Karen
    Participant

Hey Charles and all,

I was just reading a German book on organic gardening and also with a recommended planting calendar incorporated into it for Germany´s climate which I refer to every now.

I have discovered on the pest page that wireworms might actually be mealworms too as they have suggested using potato traps to attract them! I remembered my dad used to use potato slices as food for mealworms as he kept caged birds, which I totally am dead against.

I am now wondering how on earth am I going to set potato slices into all our vegetable beds to attract these pests! It´s going to be a truly daunting task 🙁

Karen
    Participant

A possible solution? Just discovered this yesterday. Gotta say, the hair on my back are still standing! Gross Gross Gross!

Attachments:

Karen
    Participant

It works!!!! 🙂

I just lifted some of the apples that I placed all over the lettuce beds and lo and behold…… These wireworms appeared on the surface!

OMG! It truly works!

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Karen,

I found the apples to be more effective than the potatoes when dealing with the wireworms.
    These seem to be more of a problem with newly cultivated land, i.e., land that was previously pasture for a long time, and their numbers decrease over time through baiting etc.
    As I am sure Charles will tell you pests are a fact of life that we have to deal with but only become a real problem when their numbers grow out of proportion to their natural predators,
    Controlling their numbers requires a multipronged approach throughout the year not just during the growing season.
    I personally use pellets and traps (bear, timber boards) to control Slugs/Snails and very occasional hunting at night. Companion planting is also effective for attracting predators or as trap crops, Nasturtium (attract Black Flies away from Peas etc), French Marigolds, (it is said their roots emit a substance which will kill some soil born nematodes). A nettle patch is particularly helpful for attracting Ladybirds. A Bug Hotel is also a great way to attract predatory insects. Hog Houses and small ponds are also very effective for attracting predators.
    Fleece and netting are also required at certain times of course to deal with our flying friends.
    Keeping your plot tidy is also a very important aspect of dealing with pests, don’t leave rubbish/plant debris lying about.
    As I said, pest control requires a proactive, as opposed to a reactive, multipronged approach.

Don.

ElizaD
    Participant

Hi Karen,

Like you, I have an apple tree and have noticed this helpful event before. Yes, it does turn your stomach a little, doesn’t it?!

Eliza

Karen
    Participant

Heya Don,

Thanks for the feedback and advice.

It´s only this year that I have been growing way more annual vegetables compared to the last 3 years and that we are using a whole lot more lettuces/salad for our restaurant too. I kinda knew that we have a fair amount of wireworms and it´s only this year that I realise how much damage they have done and can do to the lettuce and other leafy (e.g. brassicas) young plants.

The apple traps definitely work as I have checked again the beds and many more wireworms appeared on the surface under the apples. I definitely feel more confident now that I know how I could help minimise the damage as I am sure that it will be a long while before the wireworm population can be under control.

Yeah Eliza, each time when I see these worms… I get the goosebumps! Gross! Thankfully the apples have come to the rescue.

Oh… I might add too that the apple traps too lure ants to them. Another potential solution! As these ants too can do damage to the roots and stem of young leafy plants.

Concetta Parsons
    Participant

These are difficult to get rid of. Earlier my garden has a lot of wire worm. My garden was almost spoiled by them. Later my relative advised me to re-do my garden. Here are few steps to re-do your garden for a pest free garden http://inthebackyard.ca/how-to-have-a-pest-free-garden/. Re-doing garden take a lot of time. So instead, you can plant wheat grass in between your crops. Worms are greatly attracted to wheat grass and they’ll consume it instead of your crops. Else you can place worm traps by burying carrot or potato few inches inside the soil. The worms will screw inside them. You can check the buried vegetable daily and destroy the detected worms.

Karen
    Participant

Is anyone having a problem with wireworms? 🙁

8 young lettuce plants were destroyed by them this morning when I went to check the beds. Am completely gutted!

I tried baiting the last few days with apple slices… they completely disappeared from the beds! I suspect birds (unlikely as we have 4 cats) and possibly (most likely) hedgehogs came out in the night and had a feast!

Havent tried potatoes yet…. might just try it as I suspect my apples will keep disappearing every night!

Sowed leaf beet today as a contingency plan if more lettuce plants fall victim. I think wireworms aren’t too terribly interested in them. Hopefully!!!!

Am at my wits end. 🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags