Wireworms in polytunnels

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Wireworms in polytunnels

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Tokes polytunnel 12 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

HELP! This is the first year of growing in my polytunnel, and wireworms are attacking all my beautiful four season organic lettuces and are now going to cavelero nero and marigolds! They seem to be avoiding the mizuna, mibuna and rocket. All were planted into new top soil over rotted manure. I have tomato plants that need to go into the ground, do you think they will attack them?

What can I do to get rid of them without pesticides? Any advice would stop deepest depression!!!

Annie from Wiltshire

charles

Bad luck Annie, this is a hard one to solve. 

Are you sure they are wireworm, i.e. orange brown, about an inch long, like slow moving centipedes?

Was your tunnel put up over grass, which is where wireworm mostly live? If that is the case it may take longer to resolve as they are well established, with no know remedy except time, at least a year. Even chemical gardeners have no effective pesticides.

Or might they have come in with imported topsoil? In which case raking through it may enable you to find and remove them?

As far as I know they do eat tomato roots but hope I am wrong… does anybody else have experience of dealing with this?

Thanks for reply! Have you heard of the use of burying a tin in the ground filled with potato and carrot peelings? Apparently this is a sort of trap that you keep emptying.
    Yes, the polytunnel was put on a field that was newly ploughed.

For the future, would the no dig method combat the wireworms because you’re not turning the soil over?

Annie

P.s, if I use grow bags for this year, would they get in there to?

charles

Good luck with trapping, at least you will feel like there is a chance of keeping them at bay. 

I am fortunate to have never encountered wireworms and do not know if no dig would make any difference, compared with ploughing or rotovating. I suspect not but hope I am wrong!

Grow bags sound worth a try, keep an eye out in case wireworm manage to slither up the sides (!) or possibly chomp through the bottoms. Do keep us posted and I hope you grow some lovely vegetables.

beansy

I really sympathise with you having suffered this problem!
    We have 2 20’x 60′ polytunnels that were no dig, converted from pasture with a huge residual wireworm population (click beetle larvae) – we took away their food source – grass roots – so they had no choice but to eat our crops. They particularly seem to enjoy tunnelling up into the stem/neck of lettuce, took about half of our french bean plants and lettuce, I have found up to 12 on a single plant. We are growing on a small commercial scale so it’s quite challenging!
    I removed every affected plant, checking the root zone carefully, as there was rarely just one wireworm, tried burying cut up potatoes stuck with wire and coloured piece of baler twine to mark them, but these need to be checked regularly and ’emptied’-limited success. I have read you can use the nematodes used for chafer grubs – but they are not specifically for wireworm and are expensive. There’s also a biodynamic approach – collect them, burn them and collect the ash which is diluted and watered onto the affected area, I may still try this!

I hate to admit we have now dug the tunnels and removed loads by hand – cultivation is generally recommended – then we let the chickens in the worst tunnel over last winter.
    On a brighter note they didn’t really bother the tomatoes, which were in 9cm pots when planted out last year. I also grow extra plants and keep replacing those they damage.
    Hope this helps?(!)
    Good luck – the first 2 years are meant to be the worst…
    Regards,
    beansy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags