Wood for raised beds

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Wood for raised beds

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  jjat8cv 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

PeterM
    Participant

Evening all,

I would like to make some raised beds. My local timber supplier can cut to size some coastal redwood at approx £10 + Vat for 1 cubic foot.

Eg. So a 2400mm x 75mm x 200mm would be £12.6 plus VAT.

Assuming, I go for 2400mm lengths – what should the other 2 dimensions so that I can be efficient. I probably only have £100 to spend and want to get as many as I can but also want them to last.

Hawfinch
    Participant

If you really want to get raised beds I’d go for one metre wide, then one can comfortably reach the middle of the beds. But I have to tell that I am in the process of dismantling mine. They just harbour too many slugs and eggs, I have found dozens when removing the disintegrating wood.

Tristan
    Participant

Hi,
    150 x 30 mm should suit a low raised bed.
    I am with Hawfinch on this one though, slugs love decaying wood. There have been a few articles recently that suggest using the 16 inch concrete roof tiles half buried as an edging. Haven’t tried these yet to know if they cause slug problems too but they can be found very cheaply or free on the usual websites.
    If you go with the timber try Danish oil as a preservative, works well and is food safe.

HTH
    Tristan

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Peter,

I believe the most popular dimensions used are 6’x4′. Preferred heights vary considerably with 6″, 9″ or 12″ probably being the most popular. Height is dictated in the first instance, I believe, by what is available from your local timber merchant, but of course you can increase height by using different combinations of board height to achieve what ever height you require for the crop your growing.
    The thickness of the plank your being offered is quiet big, 50mm would be more than adequate and likely somewhat cheaper. This point is not terribly critical. The thickness will influence how long the timber will last.
    Typically 50mm will last 8-10years.
    As to the slug issue. I have been using 6’x4’x2″, 12″ high beds for 7-8 years now and have not seen any particular increase in slug population compared with that experienced by friends who do not use timber beds. Just continue to use all the usual pest control measures, pellets, traps, etc., any you wont have any significant problem in this regard.

Based on what your being offered you could construct beds of approx. 8’x4′ (actual size 2400mmx1200mm) from 3 blanks and get 3 such beds for your £100 (assuming you can haggle a £13 discount) with no wastage of timber.

Don.

PeterM
    Participant

Great replies all. Don will take your advice on 50mm.
    Thanks
    Peter

jjat8cv
    Participant

On our allotments we use what are locally called “scalpings” the offcuts from the trunks when cut up for planks. They are usually about 6ft long and I think about 40p each. Ask at the wood yard .

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags