Wood Lice in Compost

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Wood Lice in Compost

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  jjat8cv 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

jjat8cv
    Participant

This year I have made what I thought was perfect compost for sowing. However even when sieved it still contains many baby woodlice. Has anyone any suggestions on the best way get rid of them.

charles

The only one I know is less wood in your compost heap, but its a great ingredient so we have to live with some woodlice, I hope there are not too many.

jjat8cv
    Participant

Thank you Charles. There are not that many but I am not sure how they will affect any seeds I sow in the compost. Would it be better to just use a multipurpose compost instead.

featherlock
    Participant

I too suffer with many woodlice (and slugs!) munching through fruit and veg grown in both my small green house and outside veg garden beds; with the woodlice quickly disappearing into the compost as soon as they notice me! However, their days and numbers should soon be reduced as I intend to overwinter a small number of Quail in the greenhouse and to put my hens and Guinea Fowl to good use by running a ‘Chicken Tractor’ over my compost heaps before applying the compost mulch to beds both inside and out. This should result in happy, well-fed birds and happy, pest-free plants! For further information on these methods, please visit Youtube and view the Pavlovafowl and Justin Rhodes – Abundant Permaculture sites.

jjat8cv
    Participant

Unfortunately keeping poultry is not an option for me but I am sure your “chicken tractors” will be very happy.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags