Yacon

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  bluebell 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

bluebell
    Participant

Hi Charles

From your photos you appear to have just sat your Yacon on top of compost? Having just taken delivery of my first batch I am now wondering if I was wrong to bury them in compost?

Also how damp do you keep them?

Thanks

Jan

charles

Hello Jan, well its my first attempt at keeping yacon buds alive over winter, so I am no expert. 
    Sorry the photo misleads a bit as I subsequently covered the buds with compost, I photographed them before so that one can see the buds. Covering with compost is fine.

As for dampness, not too wet is my guideline for wintering roots and plants generally, until March or so. 

jjat8cv
    Participant

This is my second year of growing yacon. I overwintered the buds in a large bucket of moist compost in the polytunnel and they sprouted in the spring without a problem. My yacon have never grown above four feet but the tubers have still been enormous. My biggest problem was what to do with them, how to eat them, as there were so many. Has Steph any ideas?

charles

Good results you have and, like you, I am unsure of how to eat it. Mostly raw so far as a snack, for which the sweetness is appealing, almost like a fruit. Steph has not done a yacon dish yet, I put some in a stew and it was tasty, with other veg.

bluebell
    Participant

My Yacon has done rather well over winter and is now starting to get pot bound. Im assuming that they are as tender as things like tomato and so cannot go out till late May?
    If so should I pot in to bigger container for the next 6 weeks? This will not be easy as space is at a premium this time of year!

charles

Yes it is tender though I am unsure if there is slight frost tolerance, If you have enough plants, why not pop a couple out to see? Otherwise its potting on…

bluebell
    Participant

Thanks Charles. Having checked it appears to have similar tenderness to tomatoes and since I only have 3, which being in the same pot are probably rather intertwined I will play safe for a couple more weeks and pot them on indoors. They truly do have the most fabulous leaves and I am rather enjoying watching them grow.

Sweet Alice
    Participant

How are your Yacons going Bluebell? I’m just harvesting my second season of Yacon, and getting about 7kg per plant. I’m in New Zealand. I think you’ll find that they’re fairly hardy and easy to grow. The frost will knock back any new leaves but they just keep throwing out more, in my limited experience. We don’t like them cooked so much, although they sweeten stews and soups quite nicely, but they’re great to add to juices and smoothies and really nice in fruit salad.

bluebell
    Participant

Thanks Sweet Alice – it is beginning to take over my bathroom so hoping to put it out very soon – think I have been far too nice to it and it is currently about 4 foot tall.

Adrian58
    Participant

Hi to all

How are the Yacon growers doing ?. This is my first year at growing Yacon
    I have 2 in the Polytunnel thay are over 6ft . How big are thay going to get ?

Cheers
    Adrian from sunny Somerset

charles

Hello Adrian, they could grow even more yet in the polytunnel!
    Mine are outside and over 5 feet already, but soon they slow down and should be harvestable from about the second week of October, or straight after the first frost, which kills their leaves. An exciting moment.

bluebell
    Participant

Hi Adrian
    I had to put mine out a bit too early as it fell off of the window sill. It then got knocked back quite badly by late frost. But it has come back and is a good bushy plant about 4 feet tall. Just waiting patiently now for frost so I can see how much root I have grown and share with a chef friend to get further ideas of how to use 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags