Yellow Leaves on Sweetcorn

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Yellow Leaves on Sweetcorn

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Big D
    Participant

My sweet corn, which was direct sown in the allotment, has been doing so well with cobs starting to grow but very suddenly the leaves are starting to go yellow from the top down. Any idea anyone what is happening?

Thanks

charles

This does not sound right, to put it in context, how yellow? even going brown? all your plants in an even fashion?
    is everything else growing alright?
    No glyphosphate used on the grassy edges?

Belgard
    Participant

I wonder is it shortage of nitrogen?

Big D
    Participant

Hi Charles

One plant turned completely yellow very quickly and I have pulled it out, two or three others are starting to have the tips of their leaves turn yellow. This attack seems to be happening very quickly, in a matter of a couple of days. I live in Essex where we have had nearly record rainfall in June and wondered if might be connected?

Everything else is growing well except blight which has wiped out everyone’s potatoes and tomatoes on our 6 acre site.

I grow organically and no dig so never use weedkillers. I can’t think of anything different this year except the weather.

Thanks

charles

Yes this is not lack of nitrogen or everything would be going yellow. Are they in a boggy part of your plot though? Is the whole site soggy at the moment? Although I think you have had drier and warmer weather recently.

Big D
    Participant

Hi Charles

No, it is not boggy. We are on clay soil but on a south facing slope so it drains well. In fact it has gone hard on top although nice and damp underneath but definitely not boggy.

I was over the plot this afternoon and see that another allotmenteer 4 plots away has a similar thing happening on her sweetcorn. It is very strange!

I tried giving the sweetcorn a foliage watering with sequestered iron and seaweed this afternoon and will see if that makes any difference.

I can’t believe too many nutrients have been washed out with the recent rain but definitely something is happening.

charles

Yes I don’t believe the “nutrients washing out” theory either, unless one has used synthetic fertilisers, which you have not.
    In 2008, 2009 and 2012, when we had more summer rain over many months than I think you have had in June, all my crops – and second crops with no new compost added – were bountiful with no evidence of leaching.
    So please keep us posted after your iron feed.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags