Good quality module trays

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Good quality module trays

This topic contains 22 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  charles 9 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

rightee

Hi there,

Firstly can I say both your books have been a real inspiration. We’ve been eating salad and other veg all summer and now have a couple of beds in the polytunnel and outside full of oriental veg to give us salads through the winter!

Was wondering if you had any advice on sourcing some high quality module trays? This year we bought them from Wilkinsons and they are cheap plastic which has cracked and broken after only a couple of uses.

I was thinking there must be modules with a larger hole at the bottom so you can push the soil up and out without damaging the actual tray. We tended to have to crunch the tray to get the soil and plant out.

Any hints/tips would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
    Andy Wright

charles

Hello Andy

I am glad the books are helpful and like the sound of your results.

Module trays are harder to find than they should be, I have been using B&Q hard-plastic, black ones with 60 cells (A4 size) which have a small drainage hole at bottom, just enough to push the plug of compost up and out at planting time – but gently so as not to damage the plastic. They last for at least ten uses and hopefully more. Push compost in firmly when filling them.

Here is one such tray with basil plants  and they are growing in vermicompost on the left….

B&Q also sold useful polystyrene trays with 40 cells but they are now difficult to find.

I quite agree about the flimsy trays which seem designed to self-destruct as you try and extract the rootball. Do please post any success you have with finding some good trays.

Rob T

I use trays from a company called PG Horticulture, they are semi rigid and will last for many seasons. They also have holes in the bottom to push the plants out.
    You need to order minimum numbers but it’s well worth it if you can find some people to share the cost (i think the numbers are about 25 for a 77 module tray)
    http://www.pghorticulture.co.uk/level2/propquick.html
    Hope this is helpful
    Rob

charles

This link should take you to the trays I use

http://www.amazon.co.uk/60-Cell-Plug-Tray-3/dp/B004ORX05W%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAJGH22R74RS37SYSA%26tag%3Dsupapricouk-21%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB004ORX05W

They are rigid plastic, 60 holes. Gardman also make trays with larger plugs/cells/modules of 40 holes per tray.

kate robinson
    Participant

Hi Andy,
    B&Q told me they no longer do the 60 cell trays – only the 40 cell ones – for which you have to use more compost… However I have used these trays several times without them breaking. Good luck. K

kate robinson
    Participant

Hi Andy,
    B&Q told me they no longer do the 60 cell trays – only the 40 cell ones – for which you have to use more compost… However I have used these trays several times without them breaking. Good luck. K

Maisy

Hello, I am new to this forum. We have a small allotment (more queries with that later!), and we are going to trial no-dig gardening having read Charles’ book from cover to cover. On the subject of module trays, I use ones from a local nursery that ‘grow on’ plug plants. They get their plugs in them, and they vary in plug size from really tiny to about 5cm across. There are about 84 cells to each one.They are stacked in a huge pile at the back of one of the glasshouses and customers help themselves! They are very rigid and sturdy and I think they will last for years. They have a hole in the bottom of each cell that I cover with a little square of card before adding compost. This can easily be pushed out at planting time.
    I suggest if you have a similar nursery near you to try them.

Am eagerly awaiting new book, could do with it now!

charles

Thanks for this useful tip and good luck with your new allotment Maisy.
    It may be that pushing compost in firmly to the module trays means you can avoid needing card at the bottom of each hole. I am always amazed how potting compost holds together once given a shape.

mart

Hi Charles,

It may be hard in the UK to find good trays, here in Italy it is even harder. I stumbled onto this site, they sell in larger quantities but then again did you ever have to many trays? (Well on second thought, that is possible)

http://www.plantcell.co.uk/root_trainers.html

If you/anyone knows them please let me know. I might order from them.

charles

Mart, these are ‘root trainers’ which are deeper than many cell trays, so needing more compost and a deeper hole for planting out. I think they are best kept for broad beans although I sow broad beans direct in fact.
    My recommended option is cheaper and easier, have a look at Gardman cell trays (Google that for options) 2×84 cell tray for £6 or so. Reusable many times.

mart

Yup, I have a lot of tomatoes and other solanaceae, thought they might work well but you are right, lots of compost and expensive.
    Will have a look. Enjoying your new book btw. I saw somewhere you mentioned Realseeds and then pointed to the end of your book but they are not in the suppliers list or am I looking at the wrong place. I know who and where they are no worries just wondered.
    Thanks, have a good day.

M

Charlie

M_C_Taylor

Hi there,

I run a one acre walled vegetable garden in Hampshire, and we use 50-cell trays made by Teku (which is owned by Poppleman, a German company I believe). We have had ours for many years, and treated with proper care they last for quite a while. They’re not rigid, rather flexible actually, but the bottoms hardly ever crunch when you push the plugs out.

They’re sold in the UK by a couple of companies:
    LS Systems [for market growers, 180 trays for £100]:
    http://www.lssystems.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=837_1075_841
    (The “TEKJP305050 P” trays are the ones that we use).

And also by LBS Horticulture [5 trays for £6.24]:
    http://www.lbsgardenwarehouse.co.uk/product.asp?src=BGWebsite&pf_id=TPLUG&name=teku&sfile=1&jump=8

I’d also like to reiterate Andy’s original comment, and say that I too have been greatly inspired by you Charles. I bought all three of your books, and they’ve helped me SO much – we’re growing 1/3 more veg. inspired by your ideas of crop succession, including more winter veg. and lots of different salads this year. I can’t wait to come for a course this summer and learn more about your no-dig method!

Matthew

Anne Wood
    Participant

Saw this web-site and thought the products looked very useful.
    http://www.containerwise.co.uk

Anne.

Spring

I took some plants out of modules this weekend, there was a certain amount of “crunching” going on but then I used a small teaspoon to help ease the plants out – Not sure if this is recommended – I only had a few to do and I was careful…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags