Too much compost???

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Too much compost???

This topic contains 18 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Don Foley 8 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Hawfinch
    Participant

Hello all forumites,

I have just had my soil tested and was quite surprised to be told that the phosphorous levels are so high that I should stop using manure and only very little compost – by compost I mean composted garden waste. And also add nitrogen, e.g. blood and bone or ground down cow horns which is very common here.

As I understand it, Charles only uses compost and composted manure and has excellent results. So what I don’t understand is how I can basically have been using too much compost when I have only been using this approach for 3 years?

On top of this the test showed that the humus content is on the low side, I’d have thought that adding compost would improve this?

Unfortunately, the test did not show any results for things like iron, magnesium etc. so I have no clue what the levels are here.

Would anybody be able to give me some advice on how to move forward? It would be very much appreciated.

charles

At Lower Farm one of my best seasons was 2012, fifteen years after starting the first garden and having spread 1-1.5in compost from different sources every year. Quite a bit was the neighbour’s horse manure, 18-24 months old.

A different neighbour assures me that “farmyard manure” (he does not say how old, whether its composted) causes build-up of P, as a result of which their peas are always stunted.
    However my peas at Lower Farm in 2012 were excellent.
    So what gives?

I trust the growth of plants more than soil tests.
    Growing can be made to seem complicated by chemists and others who claim to understand “plant food requirements”.
    In undug soil, the biology is busy sorting things out, and its more about interactions between plant roots, fungi and soil nutrients than about quantities of molecules.
    I would sow, plant and observe, your plants will tell you more than laboratories can.

Hawfinch
    Participant

Thank you Charles, I’ll continue doing what I’ve been doing for the last several years then. Whenever I hear things like what my test suggestions were, I always have to think of your excellent results, and those of Lee Reich in the US, who grows veg more or less exactly like you, I guess the two of you are doing something right!!

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Charles/Hawfinch,

Could it be that you are adding too much compost, i.e., adding more than is actualy required by the plants your growing.
    I wonder if it might be an idea not to add any compost for one season and see where your soil is at then.
    I think what Charles says is the most accurate test of how good or bad your soil is and what its requirements are, observe the plants.

Don.

Hawfinch
    Participant

Hi Don,

I don’t actually have oodles of compost, either of the horse manure or garden waste variety. Definitely not enough to have ever been able to add the recommended 1-2 inches, so it really does surprise me that I supposedly have those very high levels. What I do have lots of are leaves that I use as a good thick mulch for most of the year. This year I’ll hold back with using composted horse manure and only some compost. Then we’ll see.

Thanks for your input.

Helle

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Helle,

When you say you have lots of leaves do you mean Leafmould or something else.
    If youare only adding less than the 1-2inch recommendation the problem might be with the mulch or it might be down to the original condition of the soil before you started cultivating it.

Don.

Hawfinch
    Participant

Hi Don,

both leaf mould and lots of leaves I spread on the beds in autumn.

Before I started the veg garden there was lawn which had been there for a long time and not one that had been fertilised in any way, so the neighbours tell me, so why these high phosphorous levels have shown up so quickly really does surprise me.

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Hawfinch,

I believe that is your problem, Tree leaves contain significant amounts of phosphorous.
    It would appear you have been overdoing the mulch.

Don.

Hawfinch
    Participant

Hi Don,

didn’t know that, thanks for the information. Seems I’ll have to find a different kind of mulch then.

Helle

John
    Participant

Hi Helle

Nature has fed the soil underneath trees since time immemorial with leaves, plain and simple, so I would find it surprising if adding leaves (over a three year period?) was causing a problem of excess phosphorous. I suppose the caveat is the amount you are putting on, but my guess is that you would have to put on an excessive amount (whatever that means!) for leaves to have a detrimental effect. Another caveat is that it is suggested that the leaves of some tree species, such as eucalyptus, should be used sparingly.

Is your veg showing signs of phosphorous excess, such as stunting of peas, or do you have veg which takes first prize at the county show? As Charles says it is better to use your produce as a guide rather than changing your inputs on the basis of a soil test.

Of course, like everyone else who writes on the forum, I am the leading expert in this field so you may need to take my comments with a healthy dressing of sodium – not too much mind you.

It would be useful to have Charles’ opinion on the use of leaves.

John

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Helle/John,

I am not suggesting that you shouldn’t use Leafmould, you should of course. But what I am saying is don’t overuse it. Its a simple case of too much of a good thing……….
    In the same way as too much compost can be a bad thing also, depending on what you are growing.
    As John and Charles both suggest, it is how your crops develop that should be your guide.

Don.

Hawfinch
    Participant

Hi John,

thank you, I always try to take advice with a dose of sodium ;-)) – I have to admit the whole thing confuses me, but as you say, it’s probably best to take Charles’ advice and continue doing what I have been doing. But I do have a problem growing peas, have from the beginning when I took over the garden, other things grow extremely well. So who knows.

Incidentally, there is an organic farmer in New Jersey, US, who gets tons of leaves delivered by his local council every autumn that he spreads on fields and then lightly works into the soil in spring, and his stuff grows extremely well.

Don – I agree, too much of anything is not good, but again, I don’t think I have that kind of amounts.

So, once again thank you to you and Don – now I’d better get on with growing stuff

Helle

charles

Interesting discussion, I would go back to your original post and ask how reliable the test is?
    Also what is the % organic matter? how was it measured?
    The only test I had done on my soil at Lower Farm gave “low” readings for fungi in beds where I was harvesting bumper crops and I am wary of results since then.

Rhys
    Participant

Charles

I”m no expert on the subject, but I get the impression that fungi are most valuable for plants when soil and moisture conditions are particularly suboptimal, as the symbiosis allows the plants to access minerals and moisture from far greater areas than alone?

In market gardening situations where you replenish the soil with compost once a year, I would reckon naively that the absolute need for fungi was less, although of course they will still be beneficial.

My other reading suggests that the fungi can decrease in population if they go 3 months or more without plants to interact with, so if there is no winter crop or green cover, then there is the possibility over a few seasons for levels to drop far below what you might see with e.g. a grass-covered field.

Thus the use of fungi may be most beneficial for gardeners who cannot access large amounts of high quality compost every year for their vegetable patches??

Hawfinch
    Participant

Charles, the test is probably not too reliable is my guess after having studied it again.

The test was done by 1:2 volume water extraction, is what it says. As far as the humus content goes, it says “estimated” and the result is then poor?

I had expected the test would also give me readings for different minerals like iron, magnesium, boron etc., but it doesn’t.

Fungi was not tested.

It was done by a large garden supplies company here in Switzerland, and they of course do want to sell me their products. Unfortunately one can not have test done by university agricultural extension offices like one can in the US.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags